Is Atlanta Safe?
Atlanta is the bustling capital of Georgia and a major metropolitan area in the United States. With a population of over 500,000 people, many are wondering if living in Atlanta is safe.
In this blog post, we will take a look at the crime rates in Atlanta and discuss what measures you can take to ensure your safety while living there.
Crime Rates in Atlanta
Atlanta typically has lower violent crime rates than most major cities in the US. According to City-Data, the overall crime rate is 35% higher than the national average, but when it comes to violent crimes such as assault, rape, and murder, Atlanta falls below the national average by 10%.
However, property crime rates are significantly higher than the national average. This includes theft and burglary which accounted for 81% of all crimes reported in 2019.
Safety Tips for Living in Atlanta
The best way to stay safe while living in Atlanta is by taking proactive steps to protect yourself from potential threats.
Here are some tips that you should keep in mind:
- Always be aware of your surroundings when walking or driving through unfamiliar areas. Avoid dark alleys or any other places that appear unsafe.
- At night, try to stay with a group rather than walk alone as it is more difficult for someone to target you if you are not alone.
- Make sure your home is secure by installing security systems such as cameras and alarms as well as locks on all windows and doors. Investing in good quality door locks can also help protect you against burglars as they are much more difficult to break into than regular locks.
- If you notice anything suspicious or out of place in your neighborhood, report it immediately to the police so they can investigate further.
- Be vigilant when using public transportation such as buses or trains and make sure not to leave any valuables unattended while traveling on them.
Overall, living in Atlanta can be safe if you take certain precautions and remain aware of your surroundings at all times.
While property crime rates may be high compared to other cities across America, violent crime rates tend to be lower than average which makes it an ideal place for those looking for a safer environment without sacrificing city life amenities like restaurants and entertainment venues that often come with larger cities like ATL!
With these tips combined with common sense approaches to safety like keeping your doors locked at night and staying away from unknown people or situations should give residents peace of mind knowing their safety is looked after while living here!